2016 PPC State Photographic Image Competition
Location: Tri-Community Photography Center
4400 North Roxburgh Avenue
Covina, California 91723.
February 28, 2016
Judging starts at 9:00 a.m.
One of the PPC State Photographic Image Competition judges will give your entries a personal critique. This is a great opportunity to get some feedback to prepare your images for the
PPA Western District Photographic Competition or the PPA International Photographic Competition. Critiques will be emailed to you within two weeks of the competition.
It’s only $35 per case to have all of your images critiqued.
PPC Affiliate Members that are Non-PPC Members will be able to enter the 2016 PPC Image Competition.
It is our hope that it will encourage people to enter image competitions, see what it’s about and learn how to improve their images. You will able to win awards but will not receive merits.
THIS 2016 EVENT IS A PPC STATE PRINT COMPETITION
2016 PPC STATE PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGE COMPETITION RULES
Please read the enclosed rules carefully on regarding your submission, return shipping and other details.
1. Entrant must be a paid PPC member or PPC Affiliate member to enter.
2. Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
3. Any entry which has been reproduced from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person is a violation of the competition rules and will not be judged, accepted or displayed. If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the Photographic Competition Committee, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law, it shall be disqualified.
4. The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of any entry.
5. A maximum of six entries may be submitted per entrant.
6. All entries must be in the same format, either all print or all digital.
7. Entries made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment, will not be eligible.
8. No two entries shall be of the same subject/subject matter.
9. Entries previously merited at any PPC or PPA International Competition are not eligible, including any image from a merited album.
10. Entry media includes photographic prints, electronic images, CD albums and albums.
11. If an image receives a Merit in any category at a PPC competition, the entrant may not enter it again, in any other category or under any condition.
Please check “Form D” in the download section for Category Descriptions.
1. Album, Event
2. Album, non-Event
3. Animal – (A)
4. Architecture – (AR)
5. Children – (CH)
6. Commercial (commercial and industrial images) – (C)
7. Family – (F)
8. Illustrative – (I)
9. Landscape – (L)
10. Nature – (N)
11. Photojournalism (non-wedding) – (PJ)
12. Portrait Environmental – (PE)
13. Portrait High School Senior – (PHS)
14. Portrait Studio – (PS)
15. Photographic Artist – (PA)
16. Wedding – (W)
17. Wedding (Photojournalistic) – (WPJ)
18. SOOC (Straight Out of Camera) – (SC)
All entries (maximum of 6) must be in the same format. You may enter either all print or all digital images, but will not be allowed to combine digital and print.
DIRECTIONS FOR NAMING YOUR FILES
PLEASE USE CATEGORY INITIALS ON ALL FILE NAMES
Files are to be named: Category Initial_Image Title_PPC Member Number (use the underscore for spaces after the category initials and after title), e.g. PS¬_See Spot Run_123456.jpg
Non–PPC Affiliate Members: Please use your last name as your Member Number
PRINT SUBMISSION – All forms and entry labels can be downloaded from the PPC website.
1. Members may submit images of any shape and size on a mount board a minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24″.
2. Print entries must be mounted on a standard mount material (double weight mat board, gator board, ¼” foam, or Styrene). Images on metal and mounted to another standard mount material, must have rounded corners. No mount that could potentially damage other entries or pose a danger to print handlers will be accepted. Masonite, glass, stretcher frames or conventional frames will not be accepted.
3. No material may be added to the front or back of an entry that may damage another entry.
4. Print and fill out the “C Print Entry Form 2016” and place it in your print case with your prints.
5. Print and fill out both “E and F Entry Labels” and tape it to the back of your print entries. Directions are on the Entry Labels.
6. A digital reference file must be submitted with each print entry. This file must exactly match the submitted print entry (image & presentation). File specifications are the same as under the Digital Submission categories.
1. Electronic images must be submitted to PPC upon registration.
2. File Size: Longest dimension is 4,000 pixels (20” at 200 dpi). Format: JPEG quality 10. Total file size must not exceed 3.5 MB. Imbedded Color Profile: sRGB or Adobe RGB (1998)
3. Files are to be named: Category Initial_Image Title_PPC Member Number (use the underscore for spaces after category initial and after title), e.g. PS¬_See Spot Run_123456.jpg)
4. Non-PPC Affiliate Members: Please use your last name as your Member Number
ALL SUBMISSIONS ARE FINAL. NO CHANGES TO YOUR ENTRY ARE PERMITTED ONCE IT IS SUBMITTED. YOU MAY NOT CHANGE THE TITLE, CONTENT, OR TYPE OF ANY ENTRY AFTER YOU SUBMIT PAYMENT TO FINALIZE THE ENTRY.
Album entries may be submitted in the form of a Physical Album (an album printed and bound as a book for judging under lights) or a Digital Album (a set of digital files to be judged as sequential layouts on monitors). You must designate one of the below categories for each entry:
1. ALBUM EVENTS: Use this category for time-sensitive social events such as weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc.
2. ALBUM NON-EVENTS: Use this category for portrait and storytelling albums.
NOTE: Multi maker and single maker albums will be judged as one category.
PHYSICAL ALBUM ENTRIES:
1. Album covers must be between 63-400 square inches.
2. No multiple volume albums are allowed.
3. Any studio identification or entrant’s name in the album must be covered.
4. A Non-rewritable copy of your physical album must accompany your physical album entry.
5. When registering your album, add the first page of your album as your reference file.
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRIES:
See TUTORIAL at http://competitions.ppa.com International Competitions.
1. Non-rewritable CDs are required for CD album entries.
2. All files MUST be a horizontal canvas size of 2560 x 1600 pixels color space SRGB, JPEG at Quality setting 12 (That doesn’t mean you can’t have vertical images).
3. Each Canvas/file may be a single album side or a spread with as many images as you desire.
4. An entry may contain up to 36 “Canvases/files”
5. Identify Canvas/files in the order to be viewed using two digits i.e. 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg, etc.)
6. Canvas/file 01.jpg MUST be blank – filled with BLACK
7. All Canvas/files for one entry MUST be in one folder named with your, Entry Number, PPC Number and Title of Entry in that order. i.e. 1-49881 Endless Love
8. Limit (1) album entry per CD.
9. Entrant’s Name, Entry Number, PPC Number, and Title MUST be written directly on the CD for identification. NOTE: In order to prevent jamming, NO labels can be affixed to the CD! Use the Official Entry Form and jewel case label.
10. Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
11. Print and fill out the “G Album Entry Form 2016” and place it in your print case with your album. All forms can be downloaded from the PPC website.
12. Print and fill out the “E Image Entry Label” and tape it to the back of your album.
13. When registering your album, add the first page of your album as your reference file.
NOTE: In the case of Multi-Maker album entries:
1. Each entrant must pay the appropriate entry fee.
2. Each album or CD jewel case must have the official entry label with the names and PPC Numbers for each entrant.
3. Images in the album must be the work of the entrants, with a minimum of 20 images per entrant.
4. Multi-maker albums will be judged as one entry.
FEES AND DEADLINES
1. 1st Deadline: PPC member entry fee of $45.00 for the first image, each additional entry is $10 for a total of up to 6 entries registered between January 3, 2016 – January 31, 2016. So, it’s a total of $95 if you enter 6 images. (Affiliate Non-PPC members $20 additional fee)
2. 2nd Deadline: PPC member entry fee of $65.00 for the first image, each additional entry is $10 for a total of up to 6 entries registered between February 1, 2016 to February 12, 2016. So, it’s a total of $115 if you enter 6 images. (Affiliate Non-PPC members $20 additional fee)
3. You MUST be prepaid before the competition. Go to ppconline.com and open the “Image Competition” link to submit your entry. You MUST upload your image files, and pay the entry fee. For print entries, forms and labels must be printed and attached/enclosed with the case from the online registration system.
4. A maximum total of up to six images per case.
5. Competition registration opens on January 3, 2016
6. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE UPLOADED ONLINE, WHETHER YOU ARE ENTERING PRINT OR DIGITAL IMAGES. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Print case (Walk-ins) Drop off time: Cases will be accepted from 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 27, 2016. Drop off location: Tri-Community Photography Center 4400 North Roxburgh Avenue Covina California, 91723. PLEASE USE A HARD OR SOFT PRINT CASE. DELIVERING YOUR IMAGES IN A CARDBOARD BOX IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Print Case (Walk-ins) Pick Up time: Febuary 28, 2016 from 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. (Please Note: In the event judging is not complete, there will be a delay on the pick up time.) If you cannot pick up your case during this time, please arrange for someone to pick it up for you.
1. Delivery deadline for shipped cases must be received by 5:00 p.m. Monday, February 17, 2016. Please deliver cases to: Karen Nakamura, 14908 S. Mariposa Avenue, Gardena, CA 90247
2. Entries must be shipped in an approved, secure, reusable-shipping container commonly known as a “Print Case”. Do not ship prints in a cardboard box. They will not be accepted.
3. Print case return shipping fee is $25 per case. Non-prepaid entries that are not picked up on-site shall be returned, shipped via UPS for a $40 COD fee.
4. Please print and fill out “H Print Case Labels 2016” and place the return address label in your case. Directions are on the form.
5. PPC assumes no responsibility for damage to entries or print cases.
6. Images shipped in an Approved Print Case will be returned within 10 days of the conclusion of print competition.
7. Please print “C Print Entry Form 2016” and place into case with prints.
8. Print and fill out the “form E” and “form F” Entry Labels and tape it to the back of your print entries. Directions are on the Entry Labels.
Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The decision of the Judges and the PPC Competition Committee is final.
• Entries scoring 80 points and above will be eligible for awards.
• Judging will be based on the PPA scoring system from 100 to 69
• Entries scoring 80-84 points will be awarded one PPC merit. Entries scoring 85 points and above will be awarded two PPC merits.
• Disqualified images will not have their entry fee returned.
• Judging will be open to the public.
PPC STATE AWARDS
1. “PPC Photographer of the Year” will be awarded to the PPC member with the highest scoring case, determined by adding the scores of the top four entries in the case. If there is a tie, the judge’s decision will be final.
2. “Top Ten Photographers” will be recognized at the awards reception. The highest total scores from your top four entries in a case, will determine the “Top Ten” cases. If there is a tie, the highest and lowest score will be added then divided by 4 to the point that will break the tie.
3. “PPC Photographer of the Year” for each category will be chosen by the judges from scores that are 80 and above in the category. For example, an entry scoring 80 and above in the Children category will be shown together and the judges will vote for the “Best in Category”, the maker of which will receive the “PPC Children’s Photographer of the Year” award. If there is a tie, the judge’s decision will be final.
4. “Judges Choice” each judge chooses his or her favorite image.
5. “Honorable Mention Award” Judges will be able to give these awards when they are having a hard time deciding a winner for “Photographer of the Year.” They will be possible 2nd or 3rd place images but judges are not limited to the amount of “Honorable Mentions” they would like to give out.
6. Bay Photo Lab will be awarding the “Larry Award” to an entry chosen by the Bay Photo staff. This award will be chosen from all images that score 80 and above.
7. “President’s Choice” the President of PPC chooses his or her favorite entry.
8. “CPP Award” is the highest scoring entry from a CPP.
9. “ASP Award” the highest scoring entry from an ASP member.
10. “Kodak Gallery Award” Chosen by the judges from all Prints scoring 80 and above. (Attach the Kodak Gallery Label on the back of your print if you are printing on Kodak Paper.) Rules are on the Kodak Gallery Label.
11. “Sunset Print Award” – To earn award, entry must be inkjet printed. Entry must be judged as a Print. The image must score above 80 points during the PPA-style judging. The image will be chosen from the 10 highest scoring prints in the competition. (Please read the LexJet Award Form for details.)
12. Scores will be posted on the PPC website within 7-10 days.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!