2017 PPC State Photographic Image Competition
Location: Tri-Community Photography Center
4400 North Roxburgh Avenue
Covina, California 91723.
February 26, 2017
Judging starts at 9:00 a.m.
One of the PPC State Photographic Image Competition judges will give your entries a personal critique. This is a great opportunity to get some feedback to prepare your images for the PPA Western District Photographic Competition or the PPA International Photographic Competition. Critiques will be emailed to you within two weeks of the competition.
It’s only $35 per case to have all of your images critiqued.
WHEN THE PPC STATE COMPETITION IS HELD ALONE:
It is okay to enter Digital Images or Prints in order to receive PPC State Awards. If your entry merits or wins an award, you must provide a print for display at the upcoming Pro Photo Expo and Conference to receive your merit or award.
THIS 2017 EVENT IS A PPC STATE PRINT COMPETITION ONLY
2017 PPC STATE PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGE COMPETITION RULES
Please read the enclosed rules carefully on regarding your submission, return shipping and other details.
This year we are using a website for all entries, www.printcompetition.com
Go to the website and login with your email and a password to access the site. REMEMBER your password! There is one caveat, to be able to use the site you will need to pay a $7 fee, this fee is good for a year and we intend to offer more image competitions during the year, so you will not need to pay again. It covers all organizations that share the site.
Complete the “Contact Information”, Check the boxes for “Alert Settings” and “Achievements”, and upload a photo of yourself if you wish.
This site allows us to live stream the competition, it will show you the image and judge’s comments, send “text alerts”, let you know what’s coming up next for judging (gives you time to take that bathroom or coffee break without missing your own image!), archive everything for you to access later. We will have a “Club79” lounge away from the judging area where you can congregate and make comments and have fun without having to be silent during the judging!
Registering your images on the site is very easy. Once you have logged in click on the PPC logo and you can start entering images. (Check the rules below first!!!). You can either enter ALL prints or ALL digital, NOT a combination even though the check marks show for each image entry, digital or physical.
Click on “Create New Entry” and “Print all Back labels”. When you have entered your first image scroll down to enter the next. This is a State Competition so you are allowed to enter up to six images. Only the four top scoring images per entry will be used for deciding the “PPC Photographer of the Year” and the “Top Ten Photographers” award.
If you wish to register for the “Lexjet” award you must enter physical INKJET prints only.
The site generates a label for each image automatically; attach the label to the back of each physical print if you are entering prints. If you are entering digital images then you can keep the labels for reference.
- Entrant must be a paid PPC member to enter.
- Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
- Any entry which has been generated from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork generated by another person is a violation of the competition rules and will not be judged, accepted or displayed. If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the Photographic Competition Committee, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law, it shall be disqualified.
- The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of any entry.
- A maximum of six entries may be submitted per entrant.
- All entries must be in the same format, either all print or all digital.
- Entries made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment, will not be eligible.
- No two entries shall be of the same subject/subject matter. Entries cannot be of the same subject, sequence or scene. Entries cannot be accepted if entered in previous years if merited at PPC or PPA competitions. This also applies to entries from the same scene or sequence of images that have been merited in previous PPC or PPA competitions.
- Entries previously merited at any PPC or PPA International Competition are not eligible, including any image from a merited album.
- Entry media includes photographic prints, electronic images, CD albums and albums.
- If an image receives a Merit in any category at a PPC or PPA competition, the entrant may not enter it again, in any other category or under any condition.
FEES AND DEADLINES
- 1st Deadline: PPC member entry fee of $45.00 for the first image, each additional entry is $10 for a total of up to 6 entries registered from January 9, 2017 – February 10, 2017. So, it’s a total of $95 if you enter 6 images.
- 2nd Deadline: PPC member entry fee of $65.00 for the first image, each additional entry is $15 for a total of up to 6 entries registered from February 11, 2017 to February 18, 2017. So, it’s a total of $140 if you enter 6 images.
- You MUST be prepaid before the competition. Go to www.com.
- You MUST upload your image files, and pay the entry fee. For print entries, forms and labels must be printed and attached/enclosed with the case from the online registration system.
- A maximum total of up to six images per case.
- Competition registration opens on January 12, 2017.
- Critique fee ($35) and case return fee ($25): DON’T FORGET TO ADD THESE FEES TO YOU ENTRY FEE, THANKS.
- ALL ENTRIES MUST BE UPLOADED ONLINE to printcompetition.com WHETHER YOU ARE ENTERING PRINT OR DIGITAL IMAGES. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Print case (Walk-ins) Drop off time: Cases will be accepted from 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 25, 2017. Drop off location: Tri-Community Photography Center 4400 North Roxburgh Avenue Covina California, 91723. PLEASE USE A HARD OR SOFT PRINT CASE. DELIVERING YOUR IMAGES IN A CARDBOARD BOX IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Print Case (Walk-ins) Pick Up time: February 26, 2017 from 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Please Note: In the event judging is not complete, there will be a delay on the pick-up time.) If you cannot pick up your case during this time, please arrange for someone to pick it up for you.
See below for Category Descriptions.
- Album, Event – (AE)
- Album, non-Event – (ANE)
- Animal – (A)
- Architecture – (AR)
- Children – (CH)
- Commercial (commercial and industrial images) – (C)
(This site allows you to upload a “tear sheet” for the judges to view if you wish.)
- Family – (F)
- Illustrative – (I)
- Landscape – (L)
- Nature – (N)
- Photojournalism (non-wedding) – (PJ)
- Portrait Environmental – (PE)
- Portrait High School Senior – (PHS)
- Portrait Studio – (PS)
- Photographic Artist – (PA)
- Wedding – (W)
- Wedding (Photojournalistic) – (WPJ)
- SOOC (Straight Out of Camera) – (SC)
All entries (maximum of 6) must be in the same format. You may enter either all print or all digital images, but will not be allowed to combine digital and print.
PHYSICAL PRINT SUBMISSION
- Members may submit images of any shape and size on a mount board a minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24″.
- Print entries must be mounted on a standard mount material (double weight mat board, gator board, ¼” foam, or Styrene). Images on metal and mounted to another standard mount material, must have rounded corners. No mount that could potentially damage other entries or pose a danger to print handlers will be accepted. Masonite, glass, stretcher frames or conventional frames will not be accepted.
- No material may be added to the front or back of an entry that may damage another entry.
- Print out the label generated by the site and place it in your print case with your prints.
- Print out and tape a label to the back of your print entries.
- A digital reference file will be generated by the site and will appear on the label and must be submitted with each print entry.
- Electronic images must be submitted to PPC upon registration.
- File Size: Longest dimension is 4,000 pixels (20” at 200 dpi). Format: JPEG quality 10. Total file size must not exceed 3.5 MB. Imbedded Color Profile: sRGB or Adobe RGB (1998)
- Files will be automatically named and categorized and numbered by the site and will appear on the label:
ALL SUBMISSIONS ARE FINAL. NO CHANGES TO YOUR ENTRY ARE PERMITTED ONCE IT IS SUBMITTED. YOU MAY NOT CHANGE THE TITLE, CONTENT, OR TYPE OF ANY ENTRY AFTER YOU SUBMIT PAYMENT TO FINALIZE THE ENTRY.
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRIES:
Album entries may be submitted in the form of a Digital Album (a set of digital files to be judged as sequential layouts on monitors). We are not judging physical print albums this year due to the challenges associated with damage to albums. You must designate one of the below categories for each entry:
- ALBUM EVENTS: Use this category for time-sensitive social events such as weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc.
- ALBUM NON-EVENTS: Use this category for portrait and storytelling albums.
NOTE: Multi maker and single maker albums will be judged as one category.
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRIES:
See TUTORIAL at http://competitions.ppa.com International Competitions.
- Non-rewritable CDs are required for CD album entries.
- All files MUST be a horizontal canvas size of 2560 x 1600 pixels color space SRGB, JPEG at Quality setting 12 (That doesn’t mean you can’t have vertical images).
- Each Canvas/file may be a single album side or a spread with as many images as you desire.
- An entry may contain up to 36 “Canvases/files”
- Identify Canvas/files in the order to be viewed using two digits i.e. 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg, etc.)
- Canvas/file 01.jpg MUST be blank – filled with BLACK
- All Canvas/files for one entry MUST be in one folder named with your, Entry Number, PPC Number and Title of Entry in that order. i.e. 1-49881 Endless Love
- Limit (1) album entry per CD.
- Entrant’s Name, Entry Number, PPC Number, and Title MUST be written directly on the CD for identification. NOTE: In order to prevent jamming, NO labels can be affixed to the CD! Use the Official Entry Form.
- Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
- All labels can be downloaded from the printcompetition.com website.
- When registering your album, add the first page of your album as your reference file.
NOTE: In the case of Multi-Maker album entries:
- Each entrant must pay the appropriate entry fee.
- Each album or CD jewel case must have the official entry label with the names and PPC Numbers for each entrant.
- Images in the album must be the work of the entrants, with a minimum of 20 images per entrant.
- Multi-maker albums will be judged as one entry.
- Delivery deadline for shipped cases must be received by 5:00 p.m. Monday, February 20, 2017 (Note: This is President’s Day). Please deliver cases to: Roger Daines, 1514 N. Elm St., Escondido, CA 92026-2055
- Entries must be shipped in an approved, secure, reusable-shipping container commonly known as a “Print Case”. Do not ship prints in a cardboard box. They will not be accepted.
- PLEASE Do NOT ship your case with a signature required, we are not always available for deliveries.
- Print case return shipping fee is $25 per case. Non-prepaid shipped entries that are not picked up on-site shall be returned, shipped via UPS for a $40 COD fee.
- Please print and fill out a return address label in your case. Directions are on the form.
- PPC assumes no responsibility for damage to entries or print cases.
- Images shipped in an Approved Print Case will be returned within 10 days of the conclusion of print competition.
- Please print a label generated by the competition site and place it in the case with your prints.
- Print and fill out Entry Labels and tape it to the back of your print entries.
- The Entry form the “Lexjet” award is at the bottom of these rules. If you are applying for this award please complete the form and put it in your case.
Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The decision of the Judges and the PPC Competition Committee is final.
- Entries scoring 80 points and above will be eligible for awards.
- Judging will be based on the PPA scoring system from 100 to 69
- Entries scoring 80-84 points will be awarded one PPC merit. Entries scoring 85 points and above will be awarded two PPC merits.
- Disqualified images will not have their entry fee returned.
- Judging will be open to the public.
PPC STATE AWARDS
- “PPC Photographer of the Year” will be awarded to the PPC member with the highest scoring case, determined by adding the scores of the top four entries in the case. If there is a tie, the judge’s decision will be final.
- “Top Ten Photographers” will be recognized at the awards reception. The highest total scores from your top four entries in a case will determine the “Top Ten” cases. If there is a tie, the highest and lowest score will be added then divided by 4 to the point that will break the tie.
- “PPC Photographer of the Year” for each category will be chosen by the judges from scores that are 80 and above in the category. For example, an entry scoring 80 and above in the Children category will be shown together and the judges will vote for the “Best in Category”, the maker of which will receive the “PPC Children’s Photographer of the Year” award. If there is a tie, the judge’s decision will be final.
- “Judges Choice” each judge chooses his or her favorite image.
- “Honorable Mention Award” Judges will be able to give these awards when they are having a hard time deciding a winner for “Photographer of the Year.” They will be possible 2nd or 3rd place images but judges are not limited to the amount of “Honorable Mentions” they would like to give out.
- Bay Photo Lab will be awarding the “Larry Award” to an entry chosen by the Bay Photo staff. This award will be chosen from all images that score 80 and above.
- “President’s Choice” the President of PPC chooses his or her favorite entry.
- “CPP Award” is the highest scoring entry from a CPP.
- “ASP Award” the highest scoring entry from an ASP member.
- “Kodak Gallery Award” Chosen by the judges from all Prints scoring 80 and above. (Attach the Kodak Gallery Label on the back of your print if you are printing on Kodak Paper.) Rules are on the Kodak Gallery Label.
- “Sunset Print Award” – To earn award, entry must be inkjet printed. Entry must be judged as a Print. The image must score above 80 points during the PPA-style judging. The image will be chosen from the 10 highest scoring prints in the competition. (Please read the LexJet Award Form for details.)
- Scores will be posted on the PPC website within 7-10 days.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
2017 Photographic Image Competition Category Description
It is ultimately the responsibility of the entrant as to which category in which the image is judged. The print competition committee will not arbitrarily change images into another category if they appear to not meet the categories’ definition.
Album, non-wedding: Any subject matter other than a wedding can be included in this album category. Only one album is allowed per entrant. Album cover must not exceed 400 square inches, no multiple volumes are permitted.
Album, Wedding: Only one album is allowed per entrant. Album cover must not exceed 400 square inches, no multiple volumes are permitted.
Animal: Images of animals created in a studio setting or outdoors. Man-made objects are permitted in the image.
Architecture: Exterior and/or interior Images of structures.
Children: Images of a child or children
Commercial: Industrial, tabletop, advertising, stock and aerial images. If there is a “tear-sheet” of the image please upload it to the www.printcompetition.com site when entering your image if you wish for the judges to see how the image was used.
Family: Images of a family group
Illustrative: Images representing an alternative type of creativity, photography, and/or not meeting the requirements of any other categories.
Landscape: Images of landscapes, seascapes, cityscapes, nightscapes being the dominant subject. People can appear in the image.
Nature: Images where the flora and/or fauna are the dominant subject and no man-made objects are visible.
Photojournalism: Image captured at the peak of action and telling a story. Nothing may be altered. Minor dodging, burning, dust spot removal and adjusting curves are the only treatment allowed. Maker must be prepared to submit the original file at any point for verification.
Photographic Artist: Entries may be regenerated from existing photographs, portraits, graphics or any other artwork so long as the entrant is prepared to provide appropriate written documentation indicating permission for usage. The final result is a factor, but the execution of technique and degree of difficulty are also considered. Guide images are encouraged to help the judges understand the process used and techniques involved in creating the final image.
Portrait (Environmental): Images of people captured in an outdoor setting.
Portrait: (High School Senior): Images of High School Seniors captured in a studio or outdoor setting.
Portrait (Studio): Images captured in a studio environment.
Wedding: Images captured for a wedding
Wedding (Photojournalistic): Images captured of a candid moment that reflects the storytelling. No posed images. Nothing may be altered. Minor dodging, burning, dust spot removal and adjusting curves are the only treatment allowed.
SOOC: (Straight Out Of Camera) Image created strictly in camera. Controlled lighting, exposure and proper posing of subject are expected. There can be no postproduction process applied to the image other than dust spot removal, cropping and matting. Maker must be prepared to submit the original raw file for verification. In this category, your image will be moved to another category if the guidelines are not met.